The Marine Service Manager course is offered by the American Boat Builders and Repairers Association (ABBRA). It is taught by experienced industry professionals and is designed for individuals presently working in, or working toward leadership roles in boatyards and marine service centers by providing broad-based and focused management training.
By the end of the course, participants gain exposure to new ways of dealing with the issues and challenges that are common throughout the boatyard, boat repair and boat building industry from their peers and seasoned instructors. Participants will leave with a concrete understanding of how to:
• Improve themselves, their work habits and leadership skills, including time management, scheduling, workforce management and corporate communication.
• Manage repair and retrofit projects in the context of operational workflow.
• Meet environmental management and safety standards.
• Build and deliver a highly functioning customer service system, increase customers’ satisfaction and loyalty.
• Avoid common legal issues and understand the basics of maritime law and how it affects boatyard operations.
• Teambuilding and employee motivation.
• Deal with emergencies such as fire, storms and accidents.
• And much more including administrative efficiencies, facility management and codes and standards.
In addition to the lectures and interactive discussions, participants are challenged with a real-world scenario and case study where they must review a marine repair facility situation, and apply their newly gained insights to identifying problems, advising for improvements and proposing corrective measures and modifications to the given scenario. They are required to work as a team and present the remedies in a report that will comprise their final class exercise.
An important feature of the MSM course is its intensive participatory characteristics that help attendees establish strong and lasting networks of contacts in the industry and throughout the country.
Upcoming MSM Courses:
Hotel Viking in Newport RI February 24-28, 2019